Where to start! The Rob Allen Sparid would have to be the best selling speargun on the market with tens of thousands in use all around the world every year.
With a limited Lifetime warranty on core components you know you’ve got support when it matters. Rob Allen has huge confidence in his line of products, and he wants to ensure you do too.
The Sparid EVO carries on the Rob Allen legend with some changes to keep it at the top of the game. Effectively the Sparid EVO is the specifications that Rob himself uses along with some colour changes.
It would be safe to say that the Rob Allen line of spearguns are legend in the spearfishing industry with hundreds of records and countless happy customers coming home after successful day spearfishing, thanks to Rob Allen spearguns.
Sparid EVO Upgrades include:
- 2x 14mm high-performance Rob Allen Power bands
- Blackout handle
- Ghost camo barrel
And includes the classic Sparid features:
- Low profile semi-closed muzzle
- Robust lightweight integrated rail barrel
- Ergonomic pistol grip handle with loading butt and soft-touch overgrip
- Spear activated line release
- Solid anchor point with swivel shark clip
- The best quality Rob Allen blue 16mm powerband with dyneema bridle
- HD 400lb monofilament shooting line
- 7mm hardened spring steel spear with tri-cut tip, HD barb and pin
- Easy disconnect gun bungee with swivel clipField-friendly no tool maintenance
Rob Allen is known worldwide for his meticulous attention to detail and testing of every change made on his guns. He does not change for the sake of it, but only to continue to evolve the perfect tool for hunting our waters.
Robs methodical approach and grueling testing in South Africa and around the world has led to a series of developments which are now industry standards.
The Rob Allen Sparid Railgun is the workhorse of the Rob Allen range and includes all the features needed to bring home your next family meal or that trophy fish you’ve been stalking for months.
Low Profile Muzzle
The semi-closed Rob Allen muzzle is a perfect example of efficient effective engineering. By looking closely at the key requirements for accurate shooting, ease of reloading and ease of maintenance Rob Allen worked to reduce the overall size and weight and minimise the amount of material around the spear to ensure easy target acquisition and reliable consistent aiming.
The ability to replace the factory powerband and/or add a powerband without any tools has allowed divers to fine-tune their Sparid Railgun quickly, to account for conditions and target species. Hunting fish in and around the rocks, simply run 1 16mm powerband. Find yourself in clear water hunting Spanish Mackerel at range, no problems, add an additional 16mm from your gear bag quickly to increase power.
Integrated Rail Alloy Barrel
Rob Allen pioneered the use of an integrated aluminium rail barrel into his guns decades ago to help support the shaft and increase barrel strength. This allowed for a lightweight gun with much greater power while remaining laser accurate. This barrel design continues on today using the highest aerospace-grade alloys to create a reliable lightweight and efficient barrel as the backbone of your speargun.
The Rob Allen Vecta 2 handle and mechanism
The handle and mechanism of your speargun are vital. The wrong shape and angle will result in difficult aiming and inconsistent accuracy due to recall. Rob Allen works endlessly on small minute details on his Vecta series of handles to make them an easy, accurate and reliable system for hunting fish.
The latest Vecta 2 handle offers:
- Active stainless steel line release working off the sear, this eliminates any issues with shooting line tension and shaft load. This result in a more consistent release and trigger pull. Ask any target shooter and repetitive consistency is the key to accuracy.
- Large rounded spear through to allow a wide range of shafts and shooting lines to be used with minimal wear. 6mm-8mm shafts are no problem.
- Ergonomic handle with soft-touch over mould designed to direct and reduce recall and muzzle lift and give a comfortable, secure and consistent grip with a natural and easy reach to the trigger. It’s all about maximizing energy to the spear and accuracy.
- Solid anchor with swivel shark clip. A solid and reliable attachment point for your float line. When you get the shot on that fish of a lifetime you don’t want to worry about whether your gun will come back.
Rob Allen 7mm Spring Steel Spear
It’s no secret Rob Allen makes the straightest toughest spears around. The spear design is classic Rob Allen and has again become a reference point for spears the world over, many times copied but never bettered.
- Heat-treated spring steel Hardened to 2100mpa resisting bending and breaking
- Machine ground tri-cut tip for busting through scale and bone
- Heavy-duty zinc electroplated outer coating to resist corrosion and glare
- Two loading notches that are smooth and rounded to fit dyneema bridles perfectly
- Drilled and smoothed shooting line anchor point
- Every Rob Allen shaft is straightened and tested by hand to ensure the straightest most accurate spear you’ll ever use
- HD spring stainless steel pin and thick heavy-duty stainless steel barb resists sheering even on the biggest fish and are all tuned to engage and lock on the penetration of the fish
Tool Free Maintenance and Service
The coastlines of South Africa and Australia are remote, harsh environments and all tools and equipment should be cleaned and maintained. Rob Allen spends more time than most in the middle of nowhere hunting elusive species with very limited equipment. Rob Allen’s focus from the beginning was to be able to clean and replace spears, powerbands and shooting line with minimal tools. As a result, a simple wash down in freshwater, band, spear and shooting line replaced by hand when necessary is all that’s needed. Simply take a couple of spare rigged spears and some premade looped powerbands and you’re good for your next week-long spearfishing adventure.
2x 14mm Rob Allen Powerband:
The engine for your speargun. The key to a consistent and powerful speargun is the powerband. Rob Allen has spent countless hours working on the band lengths and latex composition of his signature powerbands to ensure minimal energy drop over time and consistent band stretch and energy levels. This combines to give you a reliable power output and aiming point. Combined with lightweight and streamlined dyneema bridles, these bands are magic. By tuning the band length to the sweet spot for the rubber, Rob can perfect the band and power for each length speargun.
HDPE gun bungee
HDPE gun bungee with swivel clip and 400lb reinforced monofilament rigging. The gun bungee and swivel clip keep the shooting line at the perfect tension and allow for some give in the system during the shot and fight. The swivel clip helps when removing fish from the spear and allows for a fast changeover in the event of a damaged or jammed spear. HD 400lb mono has excellent abrasion resistance and will handle a huge amount of abuse over rocks and coral.
Absolutely the best gun in this price range. An all rounder for Sydney conditions. Two powerful 14mm rubbers and its shard shaft will get you any fish. I love my 1100 gun.
Purchased as my first gun, after using several friends Rob Allen variants.
As a new spearo I found it easy to load, and quickly reload, and the power from the twin 14s has heaps of sting all the way to line stretch.
I scored big Baldies, Parrot fish, Spangled Emperor and Coral trout. It’s even great on big kingies.
It’s simple form factor let’s you just Jedi it onto a fish and it hits really accurately.
Had a great trip to the Abrolhos Islands with it, can’t wait to test it on bigger pelagics.
Honestly a fantastic product straight of the shelf.
Zane Heel –
After using a friends Rob Allen 1300 i was looking for a smaller gun option to use around reef areas. i am stoked with my purchase. it is easy to load and is very accurate.
Have owned the Sparid Evo 1.2m for 10 months and fish about once a week with it in PNG. Hope this review helps.
– Excellent trigger mech, smooth, no change since I bought it, tight, easy to load, the spear clicks right in every time, no roll on the spear while loading.
– Good balance in the water, not too heavy, not too buoyant (my normal fishing depth 40-80ft)
– Great shooting line mech.
– Great float line attachment, although something more slender and less clunky would be better.
– The spear is great, thin and light but holds its shape well against hard fighting dogtooth and GTs. It did get a slight bend after a dogtooth fight ended with a ball of sharks, and I’m not sure how to straighten it back out, but it still shoots okay.
– The stock bands are lasting really well. They seem to have better/more consistent stretch and resist wearing out at the bridles better than the stuff I normally buy on Amazon.
– The flopper is great, perfectly tuned from the factory as advertised.
– Great all round gun, I use it around inshore reefs and out in blue water and I’ve been the limiting factor in landing fish, not the gun.
– This was my first Rob Allen product, and based on all the rave quality reviews I was expecting a ‘ready to fish’ product. But the first time out the rubbers were too long, and the gun had no power till I shortened them down. The shooting line was too short and could not be hooked, it had to be replaced right out of the package.
– I thought I ordered an open muzzle, but I got a closed muzzle. Not the end of the world, but still not what I was expecting.
– After 10 months of fishing, from the front of the flopper to the tip of the spear is rusting on the surface. There is no rust on the rest of the spear, just the first few inches above the flopper. Maybe this is because of the extra wear on that part, maybe it’s normal, but I wasn’t expecting that.
– This was my first rail gun and I missed LOTS of shots before I got used to the gun. I found that it shoots very low compared to what I’m used to.
– Underpowered at first, but once I dialed in the bands, it is ok now, but still not as powerful as I’d expect. I have some larger bands to try once the factory ones wear out. Maybe that will help. I generally fish in very clear water.
– The loading but of the gun is brutal on my chest, make sure you have a good wet suit loading pad or tape some sort of foam onto the but of the gun like I did.
– I wish there was a cheater tap to assist in loading. I’m 6ft and find it hard to reach and load it, although I still wish I had the longer version of the gun.
– Would be nice if there was a port or removable cover for rinsing the trigger mech properly. No matter how much I rinse it, there is salt build up around the seams/cracks where the muzzle and trigger handle meet the barrel. This is too bad as it’s already showing a little corrosion but I dont think it will have a significant impact on the guns longevity.
Wesley Lamprecht –
Top top top quality. This gun punches well above its weight. I have the 1000 model and is more than enough for Sydney conditions. Superb alrounder. Rob Allen for the win all day any day.
Recently purchased the Rob Allen sparid evo gun after getting back into Spearfishing and would highly recommend it t anyone great all round gun enough to shot any fish down here in Victoria very well made too
Hugh F –
Stoked with the gun it is excellent. 1100 is a good size and still powerful.
Allen Limbrick –
Choose this gun as I needed a 1000mm for shallow reef fishing. It is superbly made and the quailty shines through. Fantastic gun, highly recommend… And as always the Rob Allen brand cannot be faulted.
Michael M –
Recently purchased the Rob Allen sparid evo 1100 gun as my first gun clearly new to spearfishing so don’t much of reference against but would highly recommend it t anyone as it was easy to load & use.
Jason Hodgins –
Great gun for a beginner as I am easy to use , I got the 1100
Jason Hodgins –
Great gun for a beginner as I am , easy to use , seams to work well in the water in the way it’s not heavy couldswim around with it with ease, I got the 1100,
Quin wong –
This is my first speargun as a beginner, 1000
Power and accuracy at it best in my opinion
Used it a aprrox 10x has not missed a fish yet.