We all start somewhere as spearfishers…
At Ocean Hunter, we remember the first time exploring our local reefs and waterways spearfishing. We wanted to offer new divers of all ages a value for money, reliable speargun they could learn on without breaking the bank.
The Ocean Hunter SGS speargun is a fantastic entry level gun into spearfishing.
The SGS speargun includes:
- A comfortable rear handle design with hip or chest loading options and an easy to use active line release system, which keeps the line neat and out of the way while hunting
- A robust aircraft grade alloy barrel
- An easy to aim bulk rubber closed muzzle which makes reloading easy and takes the industry-standard looped bands that are available everywhere
- An easy loading yet fast 16mm powerband with safe dyneema bridle is included
- Fast and low maintenance 6mm stainless steel shaft is part of the package. We chose this spear because the 6mm shaft is lightweight and very fast, ideal on smaller species we tend to hunt as beginners. Additionally, the stainless steel remains rust-free for years and does not require as much maintenance as the spring carbon steel shafts used in more advanced spearguns.
- Threaded 6mm Mako head. The use of a threaded removable head was a simple choice. The reality is that on occasion and especially as we are learning how to spear, we will miss now and then. The ability to remove the head if damaged and replace it for a minimal cost helps to keep the cost of spearfishing and maintenance down. It’s much cheaper to replace the tip rather than replacing the entire shaft.
- The 6mm thread allows the attachment of a cluster or “pranger” style head which is ideal when hunting fish such a flathead, flounder, whiting, drum or bream. These heads have been around for years and have proven very effective at getting a good catch of fish on the dinner table.